Tuesday, February 07, 2006


JURY DUTY
I received the summons in the mail. It was in the same stack as my voter registration confirmation. Coincidence, right? My own fault for wanting to vote. Okay, don't yell at me. I understand it is my civic responsibility to serve as a juror. I understand that. Truly. But the company I work for does not pay for time off for jury duty. I support myself. I can't afford it. I wrote a letter asking to be excused. It was denied.
Now, in about two weeks, I have to go. I guess I have to use the day (or more) I'm there as my days off that week. Surely I'm not expected to use my vacation time for jury duty. Maybe I am.
I've been before. Always a bridesmaid, never a bride though.
Anyway, it'll be a challenge on how to figure out how to schedule that week at work. All scheduled workdays are tentative until I return. Wonderful.
Take my notebooks. Maybe an intriguing story will come out of it. Nah, every possible scenario has already been used by Law and Order.
What was the quote about juries? I think Dave Berry said it. "Would I want to be judged by twelve people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty?"
I'm done whining now. For the moment.

No comments: