Saturday, January 28, 2006

2005 WORD OF THE YEAR
I'm back. I was trying to catch up on some news and ran across this. I had to share it. The American Dialect Society has selected the "word" of the year. While the word has been around since 1824, it became more well-known when Stephen Colbert started using it on his show The Colbert Report. I like it.
The word:
Truthiness
Meaning: preferring concepts or facts one wishes to be true, rather than concepts or facts known to be true
Time for a Mark Twain quote. "Familiarity breeds contempt. How accurate that is. The reason we hold truth in such respect is because we have so little opportunity to get familiar with it."
Truthiness. I like it. I'll use it. When you ask? Elections are coming soon. Politicians and truthiness are conjoined twins. But I think there's enough room for a lot of others to join the party, too.

No comments: