Sunday, September 03, 2006


SPOOKY TRIVIA
*
I writing my next movie review column for Dred. One of the films I'm reviewing is Silent Hill. I always conclude my reviews with a bit of trivia about the movie. I'm checking different things out about Silent Hill and I discover the setting was inspired by a true story. Normally I shrug this info off because it's usually garbage but this was a little different to say the least.
*
In 1961, a fire started in one of the mine shafts that crisscross under the town of Centralia, Pennsylvania. The fire couldn't to put out and continue to grow. It burned throughout the 1960s and 1970s. Congress allocated $40 million to extinguish the fires in 1984. Those attempts failed. Finally, in 1984, the State of Pennsylvania claimed "eminent domain" and relocated the few families still remaining in the town. Yep, despite smoke coming up out of the ground and sinkholes, hundreds of feet deep, suddenly opening up in the ground a few morons refused to leave. The fires under Centralia still burn today. It is estimated that because of the coal deposits the fires will burn for the next 250 years!
*
Spooky.

No comments: