Saturday, May 06, 2006


"Is it safe?"
Marathon Man by William Goldman is one of the favorite novels. Well-done solid characters, good suspense and surprising twists. Plus I truly love the way Goldman writes.
Tonight I watched the movie with Dustin Hoffman, Laurence Olivier, and Roy Scheider. Good thriller with more than one memorable moment. All of which were in the book. It's not as captivating as the novel and Hoffman's too old for his part despite his youthful appearance. Still, despite his illness during the shooting of the movie, Olivier is terrific as the villain and Scheider is totally believable as a government agent. If you haven't seen it, check it out. Or, better yet, read the novel.
Oh, yeah.
"Is it safe?"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Had to bring up Goldman, didn't ya? :) I'm a HUGE Goldman fan. I recommend anyone wanting to write to read The Color of Light. Then of course, Boys & Girls Together. Have you read the sequel to Marathon Man, Brothers? Nicely done, yet strange in its own odd way.

Christopher55 said...

Steve,

Magic ... The Princess Bride ... Adventures in the Screen Trade ... What Lie Did I Tell?

I wish I could write like Goldman does.