Sunday, March 05, 2006


GUILTY PLEASURE

Confession time. I love watching the Oscars. Have for a long, long time. There, I said it.

I’m going to list who I think will win. It’s not necessarily the best in the category. I may not have seen the movie yet (and I haven’t seen very many of them this year). It’s who I think will win. Okay, perhaps, in a couple instances it might be who I’d like to see win because I’ve admired some of their work in the past. Whatever.

BEST MOVIE: Brokeback Mountain (Haven’t seen any of the Best Pic nominees. Going with the odds here.)

BEST ACTRESS: Reese Witherspoon – Walk the Line (I’ve actually seen this movie. Any man in his right mind would’ve fallen in love with her.)

BEST ACTOR: Joaquin Phoenix – Walk the Line (Hoffman will probably win but I felt the passion and agony in Phoenix’s Johnny Cash.)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Michelle Williams – Brokeback Mountain (Going with the odds on this one, too.)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR: Matt Dillon – Crash (I keep remembering the scene in In and Out when Dillon wins the Oscar and “outs” his high school teacher (Kevin Kline). A wonderful little comedy. If Dillon wins he won’t thank “Mr. Brackett”, but wouldn’t it be cool if he did.)

BEST DIRECTOR: Steven Spielberg – Munich (Ang Lee will probably win but I haven’t liked a single movie he’s ever done and I’ve even liked most of Spielberg’s failures. Lousy reason but hey.)

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY: Josh Olson – A History of Violence (Missed it at the theaters but I will see it in a week or two. My kind of movie.)

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY: Paul Haggis and Bobby Moresco – Crash (In the wake of a Brokeback sweep this is where they’ll honor this film.)

All done. Got the pizza, popcorn, and Mountain Dew ready. Hope Jon Stewart does well. Hope he’s channeling Billy Crystal and not David Letterman. Okay, the envelope please.

No comments: